This is Duolingo, a language-learning website/app that deserves some serious recognition. It offers over 10 languages for English speakers, as well as courses for non-English speakers around the world, and they’re in the process of adding more.
But wait, I don’t want to do any more schoolwork! Not to worry little one, Duolingo is actually more like a game. You can compete with friends, and earn “lingots” (which are basically Duolingo money) to buy power-ups, extra activities, and bonus skills - like Flirting.
I’m already taking a language, what do I need this for?
It’s not really a secret that most school language courses (in America, anyway) suck and only teach you to speak the language at about a third grader’s level. Which is why Duolingo is so freaking awesome.
Teachers can’t give every student individualized attention, but Duolingo can. If you’re not learning the way you want to or as much as you want to in the classroom, Duolingo is a really great resource. It’s easy, tailored to you, and really effective.
Duolingo tracks your progress and reminds you when you haven’t studied for a while or need a refresher on something. Already semi-fluent in a language? No problem, just take a shortcut to more advanced subjects or test out of the lesson.
The lessons start with the basics (he, she, hello, thank you, etc) and move up to harder stuff. Duolingo focuses on vocabulary first, so you can learn the language and then the grammar that goes with it - much simpler than the system most schools use. It also tracks the number of words you’ve learned and how well you know them.
And you don’t even have to write out the flashcards!
Duolingo is perfect for reviewing everything you forgot over the summer or giving you the extra help you need. And if you’re trying to learn a language on your own, it’s fantastic - you don’t have to create your own lessons. Whether you’re trying to learn your second, third, or fifth language, I seriously recommend Duolingo.
Okay, what else?
Duolingo also has discussion boards, where you can ask for help with a hard lesson, make new friends, watch for updates, and share your achievements.
Even better is the Immersion feature. It won’t send you to Spain or France, but it’s pretty awesome. Duolingo takes real articles from the internet, which users translate. You can translate articles from your native language into the language you’re learning or vice versa, which gives you more experience and makes the Internet more universal.
You can suggest new languages and track Duolingo’s progress in creating new courses. Bilinguals (older than 13) can help to create these courses. Duolingo has a long list of courses that can be contributed to, like Punjabi, Hebrew, and Vietnamese. Oh, and Dothraki, Klingon, Sindarin, and Esperanto.
And the best part? IT’S COMPLETELY FREE.
If you love languages or just want to pass French class this year, USE DUOLINGO. Download the app and practice a language while you wait for the bus instead of playing Angry Birds!
I want to learn Spanish.
Anonymous said: Hey! I'm in high school and have have rheumatoid arthritis. I really want to be a pediatric rheumatologist but my entire family doesn't want me to go to med school because of my health. Is medical school really as bad as they say?
That doesn’t mean you can’t or shouldn’t go for it though. It just means you have to be really sure you want to dive in and can dive in before you actually dive in. You have to be aware that your illness is going to affect your ability to study well or manage the stress or work extremely long hours without a break.
Realize that you will incur mountains of debt (if you are like the vast majority of med students who are not independently wealthy) and that there’s the possibility that you may not finish school if your health becomes prohibitive.
I don’t mean this to sound harsh or pessimistic. I want you to be realistic. Your health conditions don’t have to keep you out of medical school, but you do need to realize that you can’t make it through on optimism and hope alone. There is a lot of struggle and stress that comes along with med school.
My best advice for you would be to talk to your own rheumatologist. Ask him or her how stressful med school was for them, and whether they think you can handle it. Talk to them about getting your rheumatoid under the best control possible to lighten the burden on you a bit. And ask to shadow them! See what they do on a daily basis and decide for sure if it’s really for you.
what if the only reason we can’t walk through mirrors is because our reflection blocks us
what if they’re protecting us though
what if they know that the other side is horrifying and painful and they are trying to keep us from ever crossing over
I must be on the wrong side of the mirror then
maybe you’re the reflection.
this needs to be a book.
Being chronically ill means constantly having this crippling fear of not being able to comfortably believe your illness is as bad as it is, and fearing everyone will be proving to you that you don’t have that illness or that you’re exaggerating it.
It’s constantly fearing judgement from doctors, family, friends, even other sick people, and worst of all, yourself.
Maybe it’s not logical, and certainly not healthy, but it’s hard to avoid.
THIS IS AN EXTRACT OF A CONVERSATION I HAD WITH A FRIEND ON SKYPE
- (He runs a lot)
- Him: I'll never be a great athlete
- Him: Like
- Him: I'm so fucking tired
- Him: My butt hurts
- Him: My ass fucking burns from yesterday's workout
- Him: It hurts to sit
- Him: DAMMIT
- Him: MAKE IT STOP
- Me: This
- Me: This could be interpreted in such great ways
- Me: But I'm gonna stay respectful
- Me: And not make any joke about what you just said
- Him: What
- Him: HOW
- Him: I DON'T UNDERSTAND
- Me: YOU DON'T WANNA
- Him: TELL ME NOW
- Him: PLEASE
- Me: Dude, just
- Me: Just reread what you just fucking wrote
- Him: I did
- Him: SEVERAL TIMES
- Me: JUST
- Me: UGH
- Me: DON'T MAKE ME SAY IT
- Him: THAT IS WHY I AM ASKING
- Him: DAMMIT GABE JUST EXPLAIN
- Me: ...
- Me: Lets just say that just because I'm a grey ace doesn't mean I can stop from seeing twisted sexual innuendos everywhere
- Him: I DON'T SEE WHAT'S SEXUAL ABOUT MY ASS HURTING FROM A WORKOUT
- Him: EXPLAIN
- Him: I HATE NOT KNOWING THINGS
- Me: You
- Me: YOU JUST FUCKING SAID IT YOURSELF
- Him: Whaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaat
- Me: ARE YOU DOING THIS ON PURPOSE
- Him: NO WHAT THE FUCK MAN
- Me: NO WAY DUDE I'M LAUGHING
- Him: WHY STOP IT
- Him: YOU'RE MAKING ME FEEL DUMB
- Him: I'M GETTING SAD
- Me: HOW ARE YOU NOT SEEING IT
- Him: SEEING WHAT
- Me: GAY SEX INNUENDOS
- Him: WHAT ARE YOU TALKING ABOUT
- Me: WTF YOU CAN'T BE THAT INNOCENT
- Him: WHAT THE FUCK
- Him: I'M NOT INNOCENT
- Him: I'M NOT A CHILD TO BE PROTECTED
- Him: THAT'S YOU
- Him: WITH YOUR INNOCENT ALABASTER CREAMY WHITE SKIN
- Me: THEN REREAD YOUR FUCKING MESSAGES
- Me: Also what the fuck
- Him: I CAN'T SEE ANYTHING
- Me: ARE YOU FUCKING BLIND
- Him: MY BUTT IS SORE BECAUSE I WORKED THE MUSCLES TOO HARD
- Him: I DON'T UNDERSTAND
- Him: JESUS
- Him: JFC
- Him: Holy God
- Him: UNHOLY LUCIFER
- Him: COULD YOU PLEASE STOP MAKING FUN OF ME AND JUST SPIT IT OUT
- Me: Dude no
- Him: WHY
- Him: ADRIEN
- Me: BECAUSE I'M STILL WONDERING WHETHER YOU'RE JUST BEING GENUINLY BLIND TO ALL THOSE STUPID POTENTIAL JOKES
- Him: I AM LITERALLY BEGGING
- Me: OR IF YOU'RE JUST SHITTING ME
- Him: HOW THE FUCK COULD MY BASIC TOOL OF A SORE ASS BE SHITTING YOUR ALMIGHTILY INTELLIGENT BRAIN RIGHT NOW
- I ALREADY SAID I'M A SHIT ACTOR
- GET OVER YOURSELF AND FUCKING TELL ME
- Me: God I wish you could see the wiggly eyebrows I'm making right now
- Him: TELL ME
- Me: Just
- Me: JESUS FUCKING CHRIST DUDE
- Him: I WAS BEING A WHINY BITCH
- ABOUT MY CURRENTLY FLAMING ASS
- Him: WHAT
- WHAT ARE YOU TRYING TO SAY ABOUT MY BUTT
- Me: DUDE
- Me: I AM SO POSTING THIS ON TUMBLR
- Him: NO
- Him: HOOOOOOOOLY FUCKING SHIT DON'T YOU DARE
- Me: Dude when they post comments you'll probably get that fucking joke
- Him: I KNOW YOU WERE IMPLYING I HAD A MEAT ROD SHOVED UP MY ASS
- POUNDED LIKE A PROSTITUE
- DON'T DO THAT
- Me: ...
- Me: HAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHA
- Him: Nope Nope Nope
- Him: Don't do that
- Me: THIS WAS MAGNIFICIENT
- Him: OH MY GOD
- Him: IF MY PARENTS SEE THIS
- Me: DUDE THIS IS COMEDY GOLD
- Him: ...
- Him: Just don't mention my fucking name